Am Baile: highland history and cultureHighland Council logo

A view of Avoch Church and Rosehaugh Valley

A view of Avoch Church and Rosehaugh Valley

Larger picture

Print this page

Email a friend

Make a Comment

Add to Scrapbook

Share

LOCATION: Avoch
PERIOD: 1880s
DISTRICT: Avoch
OLD COUNTY/PARISH: ROSS:Avoch
CONTRIBUTOR: Highland Libraries
COLLECTION NAME: Fraser Mackintosh (illustrations)
DATE OF ORIGINAL: 1885
location map


This illustration of Avoch Parish Church and the Rosehaugh Valley is taken from Angus J Beaton's 'Illustrated Guide to Fortrose and Vicinity, with an appendix on the Antiquities of the Black Isle', published in Inverness in 1885.

In his guide, Beaton refers to the recent considerable improvements to the village of Avoch, made possible by the efforts of Mr James Fletcher of Rosehaugh Estate. He was responsible for providing employment, improved housing and better water supplies in the village. He increased the value of his estate by one third. A report from the Board of Supervision at the time states 'The village of Avoch, from having been one of the most slovenly and filthy, has now been transformed into one of the most tidy and clean fishing villages to be found anywhere'

The Canadian explorer Sir Alexander Mackenzie (1764 - 1820) is buried in Avoch churchyard



IDENTIFIER: QZP40_458_P031

If you would like to view the original item please see the library's website for opening hours. Inverness Library


Find out more about Charles Fraser MacKintosh




Some other items in this collection...



Fishing Station at Loch Torridon

Fishing Station at Loch Torridon

Highland targes

Highland targes

Dunkeld as approached from Perth

Dunkeld as approached from Perth

Dunrobin Castle

Dunrobin Castle





Copyright © 2003 - 2014 Am Baile/The Gaelic Village