Am Baile: highland history and cultureHighland Council logo

Kyle Public Hall

Kyle Public Hall

Larger picture

Print this page

Email a friend

Make a Comment

Add to Scrapbook

Share

LOCATION: Kyle of Lochalsh
PERIOD: 1930s
DISTRICT: South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH: ROSS:Lochalsh
CONTRIBUTOR: Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
COLLECTION NAME: Duncan Macpherson (photographs)
CREATOR: Duncan Macpherson
location map

The foundation stone for Kyle Public Hall was laid on 3 September 1931 by Sir Daniel and Lady Hamilton, and the hall officially opened on 8 April 1932. After the hall was built, Sir Harry Lauder, a regular visitor to the area, gave a concert to raise funds to pay off debts. He evidently sang for an hour! The tennis courts are visible just behind the hall


This photograph is featured in Then and Now



IDENTIFIER: HCD00058

This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices email:
skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com


Find out more about the photographer - Duncan Macpherson


Find more information on Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre on our partner page



Some other items in this collection...



Woman by a well

Woman by a well

Ferry crossing to Dornie

Ferry crossing to Dornie

Dun Troddan, Glenelg

Dun Troddan, Glenelg

Ferrying a Bus from Dornie

Ferrying a Bus from Dornie





Copyright © 2003 - 2014 Am Baile/The Gaelic Village