Am Baile: highland history and cultureHighland Council logo

Train at Kyle station

Train at Kyle station

Larger picture

Print this page

Email a friend

Make a Comment

Add to Scrapbook

Share

LOCATION: Kyle of Lochalsh
PERIOD: 1930s
DISTRICT: South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH: ROSS:Lochalsh
CONTRIBUTOR: William J Ramsay
COLLECTION NAME: Duncan Macpherson (photographs)
CREATOR: Duncan Macpherson
location map

The stationmaster, possibly Mr MacWilliam, greets the train driver at Kyle of Lochalsh station. When the last leg of the rail line from Inverness reached Kyle of Lochalsh in 1897, the pier and station became a central part of the community life. For years the rail line had ended in Stromeferry, where the trains emptied, and to travel further west, people and cargo were loaded onto boats and steamers. With the completion of the Kyle line, Stromeferry became just another stop, with the focus of activity changing to Kyle which expanded to become an important and busy terminus



IDENTIFIER: PC_RAMSAY_007

This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices email:
skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com


Find out more about the photographer - Duncan Macpherson


Find more information on Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre on our partner page



Some other items in this collection...



The Cuillin

The Cuillin

Kyleakin Jetty

Kyleakin Jetty

Kyle of Lochalsh looking west to Caisteal Maol and Sgurr na Coinnich

Kyle of Lochalsh looking west to Caisteal Maol and Sgurr na Coinnich

Kylerhea Ferry

Kylerhea Ferry





Copyright © 2003 - 2014 Am Baile/The Gaelic Village